Tuesday, August 26, 2008

InSKINcurities: Steroids and Antidepressants


Dear Melancholy,

Dealing with skin disruptions and disorders can be quite a bit to handle. And honestly, if your condition becomes chronic, it can have long term effects on your self-image, your self-esteem, your mood.

Friends and family member may become concerned. Someone may even consider  antidepressants to cope with your mood, which probably fluctuates as often as your skin does.

The fact of the matter is,  by the time your condition becomes chronic -- you are probably taking a combination of corticosteroids and antibiotics to cope with the constant inflammation of your skin. 

So how do Steroids and Antidepressants interact? If neither your dermatologist or your psychiatrist can't answer this question... you need to find a new dermatologist and/or psychiatrist. Don't worry. I had to.

Remember, it's your health. It's your life.

(And personally, I think most doctors don't do enough reading anyway. Too many practicing doctors don't keep up with recent medical research, anyhow.  Your best bet would be to find a practicing doctor who also does research, probably affiliated with a university -- at least you know he or she is keeping up with the latest and greatest.)

It turns out that cortisol and other corticosteroids also affect mood, behavior and cognition through "genomic and nongenomic" mechanisms. Many anti-depressants are effective because they increase corticosteroid receptors and actually lower cortisol levels.

Meanwhile your corticosteroids are working to raise cortisol levels.  Cortisol, is an immunosuppressant which when increased lowers inflammatory effects.

On the other hand, the first month I used Cephalexin... it felt like an antidepressant. Taking it seemed to make me feel so great. I asked my doctor if antibiotics had any antidepressant qualities. She assured me they did not. I guess I was just so happy to have beautiful, healthy skin again... Meanwhile, each time I accidently forgot to take the anti-biotic for the day my mood dramatically dropped. But, hey... maybe that's just me.  Sometimes my body does what it wants, anyhow.

Stay healthy, stay aware. 

Love,
Lhea J.

1 comment:

natural treatment for eczema said...

There are all kinds of eczema treatments, some people are simply not to scratch tells and received many steroid creams. But you have found that you at the end of it just back keeps the course of medication? Rather than dampen the symptoms, this article explains 5 easy steps you can take for ever to hit the root of the problem and eczema.